...a country which needs heroes is an unfortunate one. But even more unfortunate is the country that needs heroes and has none.



Bertolt Brecht

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Day 5- Black shorts continued

We can write short stories that pay attention to personal triumphs and personal injuries. We must find the rhythm to inform our writing. Below is the beginning of a short story that focuses on religious tolerance. I am looking forward to finding out where this paragraph leads me.

Barracks
by
Dr. A. W. Tatum

For the past three nights I have been peeing in a Gatorade bottle to spite my mother who complains about the creaking door. My parents think it is such a great idea to send me away for a month to learn how to shine shoes and make a bed. I am sick of their overbearing Christian ethics and filling the house with Sunday morning rhetoric from those overpaid former crack-addict-turned-preachers. I have never felt God's presence in this place. I invite him into my room every night so that I can share my ripped pages with him. I think he is afraid to meet me.

"Is God going to meet us there?'

"I wish you would stop hanging out with those agnostic bastards," my father screamed.

"Be calm, you don't want to upset God now."

"Not two more hours of this."

Two more hours to introduce the place to the self-proclaimed modern-day father of agnostic bastards. I am going to have a hell of a lot of fun converting the other cadets. This will be a summer to remember. I bet they won't send me back to this place.

15 comments:

  1. Brother Author 147/7/11, 10:15 AM

    I used to wonder why Dad’s shed was always locked. What if there was money in there? Maybe he was lodging terrorists. My dad was a good man; I really believe that. Circling the windowless shed for hours had gotten me dizzy, when suddenly, as if to save me from allowing myself to pass out, Dad called out from the bedroom window, “Alan, get up here! I have someone I’d like you to meet.”
    “Coming, dad!”
    Almost nauseous, I ran back to the front door, and hoping to burst into the house like a scene out of an action movie, I trudged straight into the door, expecting it would be open. I caught my breath and mustered the energy to yell up, “Dad, it’s locked!”
    He must not have heard me because he didn’t say anything back. Luckily I remembered that under the doormat lied the spare key that Dad called “emergency only.”
    A gross aroma of Dad’s smoked bacon screamed as soon as I entered the kitchen.
    “You must be Alan!” an excessively smiling, wide-faced woman exclaimed. “I’m Torrey, your Dad’s friend.”
    She spoke so slowly and condescendingly that I felt suddenly dumbfounded.
    “This is my daughter Sarah,” she said too proudly.
    She turned her attention to some shadow resembling a girl entering the kitchen behind her.
    “Nice to meet you Alan,” a shy, locked away voice murmured. “I’m Sarah.”
    “Boy,” I said, feeling both sweaty and awkward, “bacon smells good huh?”
    “Let’s eat!” Dad chimed in.
    Sitting at the table for five minutes was awkward if no one spoke, but the five-minute threshold altered the standard, and made it awkward to speak and be the one to break the silence. But Torrey had to try.
    “So Alan,” she smiled exuberantly, “we saw you circling the shed out there.”
    “Yea,” I replied, happy that she had managed to find a thread of conversation that interested me, “I’ve spent all morning trying to figure out why that thing is always lo—”
    “Alan, since when do you like bacon buddy?” Dad interrupted with an unusual nerve in his tone. I shrugged.
    “Did you say you had another boy about Sarah’s age?” I addressed his mistress, attempting to slice the discomfort he created.
    “Well,” for the first time she wasn’t smiling, “I did. His name was Andrew. He passed about a year ago. Murder.”
    “Mom!” the seemingly caged Sarah shouted in disapproval.
    This meal had somehow traveled through silence to anger.
    “But as I was saying,” I shifted the conversation back to myself, “I’ve been out around the shed because it’s always locked and Dad never tells me wh—”
    “God damn it!” Dad got up from his chair. “That’s it, you’re going back in for the day.”
    “Dad,” I suddenly started to cry, “Stop it I’m sorry, I won’t speak anymore!”
    “I tell you this every day, Boy, I am not your father!” His eyes filled with hatred.
    I remember Sarah staring at me, cold faced, her cloak of innocence shattered. She knew. They all did. They were on their way to forgiving me; they had even come to visit me for breakfast. How could I relapse again.
    Dad grabbed me by my collar and pulled me furiously back to the shed. He unlocked it, just as he did every day, and pushed me back in as Torrey and Sarah watched. There were plain white walls and a single bed, and drawings with blood and the name Andrew on them were scattered across the floor. Dad shoved two large red pills into my mouth, and that’s the last thing I remember.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One Eighty
    By
    Kristoffer Kizer 7-7-11

    Here I am 32 years later enjoying life. I sit alone in my luxury land of paradise in Las Vegas watching my awesome plasma TV and listening to my high definition reward. Then here comes Catherine. Her presence just awakens my soul. Her hair flowing like a nonstop well of beauty, her body is amazing, and her eyes are like a maze.
    “Hey honey.” Catherine said.
    “Hey my love.” I replied.
    “I’m so proud of you.” Catherine stated.
    “I could never get tired of that.” I responded.
    “You shouldn’t I mean you did a fantastic thing that most guys wouldn’t even think about doing. Catherine stated.
    “Yes I know at first it was hard but, I managed to pull it off quite well.” I proudly said.
    “Ok well I have to go to work I’ll see you later. I love you.” Catherine said
    “I love u to sweetheart.” I said, she exits the room, but I couldn’t help to think of my reckless past and all my thoughts I used to think and everything I did. I thought to myself. “Damn I was really going to destroy two lives and make the biggest mistake of my life.” however, that’s all in the past so now I’m living the dream.

    I remember it like it was yesterday. 14 years ago me, Steve, Johnny, and Fred were planning on going to Peyton’s party. Peyton was a good friend of mine. That’s how she invited the boys and me. Steve was my hardcore partner in crime, piggish buddy. Johnny was my drinking buddy. Also Buzz whose real name was Fred, but we called him Buzz because he was the buzz kill in the group. Buzz was the true responsible one in the group. We hopped in the car to head to the party that started at ten o’clock since it was nine fifty.
    “Dude I hope there will be some good looking chicks at this party,” said Steve
    “OOOOOOOH there will be and I can’t wait to challenge someone to some great old beer pong!” Johnny said.
    “Whoa guys calm down this party will be unforgettable.” I said with a smile upon my face.
    “Now guys lets remember not to get in too much trouble. Johnny you shouldn’t drink so much and Steve sex isn’t all that important you know.” lectured Fred.
    “OH shut the hell up!” yelled Johnny.
    “You’re such a buzz kill dude.” Said Steve.
    “Fred you should relax and enjoy yourself. Besides it’s a party, live a little!” I said, with a happy face.
    “I’m just saying we really should be careful. I know how you guys operate and trust me I’m surprised we aren’t locked up in Alcatraz.” explained Fred. Fred went on and on about the all the situations we had ever been in. (like anyone listens to Fred). I sure wanted to slip him a sleeping pill, however he still is my boy. In fact all these knuckleheads are. If I hadn’t known Fred almost half of my life I would of just blown my freaking brains out.
    “Fred please give it a rest,” I said with a tired expression.

    ReplyDelete
  3. “You know what, how about we all just have the time of our lives.” Fred said with a sarcastic tone of voice.
    “Now you’re talking Buzz!” Johnny said freely.
    “Dude that’s the best thing I heard you say all night.” Steve said as if he was shocked. I myself was pleased that Buzz finally was silenced. Finally I pulled into Peyton’s parking lot and we exited my car
    “This is it dudes!” Steve said loudly.
    “Let the fun begin” Johnny said with a smirk on his face
    “Oh God please help us all.” Buzz said silently to himself. As we walked toward Peyton’s house everybody was ready except for Fred he was as scared as if someone had a gun up to his head.
    “Are you ok?” I curiously asked.
    “Yeah somewhat ok. I just hope we make it out in one piece.” Fred said with strong fear resting upon his head.
    “Buzz this isn’t war bro it’s just a party. Relax man.” I calmly said
    “Mike it might as well be war now you know Steve can’t keep it in his pants. And Johnny? Lord knows how many drinks he will have tonight.” Buzz said with concern.
    “Tonight how about we just do us. Sounds good to you?” I said
    “Yeah I guess so Mike.” Buzz said with a nervous look.
    “If you’re so nervous about us why did you come?” I asked with curious face
    “Well because someone had to watch you guys. Lord knows what could happen without me!” Buzz proudly said.
    “In a weird way you’re right.” I admitted.
    “I know I am.” Buzz said.
    “HEY ladies if you don’t mind I want to party my ass off WHOOOO!” Johnny interrupted. Buzz and me wrapped up our little conversation and went up to Peyton’s door. “Ding-dong!” At that moment when she opened that door my fate was sealed.
    “Come on in guys!” Peyton said in happy tone.
    “Don’t mind if we do.” I said in a funny tone. Since I took that first step in her house I had opened my own personal gate to Hell. When we all got in the house the party was more reckless then I thought. There were pretty good looking females making out on the couch. It was beer gallons that looked like propane tanks. Music was so loud that your eardrums were crying.
    “YEAH!!!!!” yelled Johnny
    “ This is what I’m talking about!” Lets get this started,” excitedly I said.
    “Dudes this will be the most memorable party ever man!” promised Steve and boy was Steve right about that. Everybody went their separate ways. Johnny went to go drink his brain cells clean out me and Steve was walking heavy mentally armed with a trouble AK-47s toward the kitchen we were locked and loaded with sex bullets and we planned to fire, and Buzz just disappeared. Meanwhile we were just enjoying ourselves looking at the many different females
    “Dude look at these chicks. It’s like an all you can eat buffet!” Steve said.
    “Bro you ain’t even lying!” I said. Me and Steve looked exactly liked a couple of predators stalking it’s prey.
    “Man you get white meat, soul food, or if you want something spicy how about some Mexican!” Steve said in a piggish tone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. “I know right!” I said in an agreeable manner, also with a smile.
    “So dude what do you have a taste for?” asked Steve in curious way.
    “Bro I feel like getting down with soul food, what about you?” I said as if I didn’t know Steve always loved sexy dumb girls I knew how his mind worked it wasn’t hard to figure out.
    “Well you know me it doesn’t matter I only have one rule and that is to be sexy because I plan to have a last meal feast.” Steve confidently said. As me and Steve laughed and enjoyed ourselves in the kitchen we noticed Crystal. She was the type of girl that just make you want to commit some serious sins. She was one of the sexiest girls I had ever seen, she was also Peyton’s best friend.
    “WHOA!” yelled Steve.
    “Check her out.” I stared.
    “Yeah I wouldn’t mine that lovely piece of ass riding this right here hahaha you with me Mike?” asked Steve.
    “Hahaha you aint lying though.” I laughed.
    “So you going to get with her?” asked Steve.
    “I might. I mean she is pretty.” I said.
    “Dude she is hot. I mean she seem jobless and if you won’t talk to her you know I will and I’ll give that chick a job alright hahaha.” Steve said of course in a piggish manner.
    “I’ll just talk to her.” I said with confidence.
    “Good call dude.” Steve said, and Steve exited the kitchen to find another girl meanwhile I approached Crystal.
    “Well how you doing Crystal?” I asked.
    “Oh hey Mike!” Crystal said in delightful tone.
    “So great party huh?” I asked in a weird way.
    “Hell yeah but the real party hasn’t even begun.” Crystal said.
    “Well is there another party or something?” I asked
    “I hope so I was thinking about a private party.” said Crystal.
    “Oh really who is all invited?” I asked.
    “Well only two people: just you and me,” winked Crystal
    “Is that right? Well if you play your cards right that just might happen.” I said in a flirty tone.
    “Hmmm you couldn’t handle me no way.” stated Crystal.
    “I’m pretty sure I can.” I responded.
    “Well let’s see you put your money where your mouth is and meet me upstairs.” Crystal said. Crystal kissed me and headed straight upstairs I soon follow her to the bathroom.
    There she was looking really seductive
    “Well come on in and soon the party will begin.” Crystal said in a flirty tone.
    “Oh yeah I’m going to teach you a lesson.” I said.
    “We will see.” winked Crystal.
    “Yes we will.” I said with a smiled as we entered the bathroom I locked the door and then the party got started. After an hour went by Crystal and I both exited the bathroom I had to hurry and zip up my pants. Crystal’s hair was no longer neat instead it was all messy but, we were still smiling.
    “So can I get your number?” I asked with curiosity
    “You sure can it’s 708-876-6543 and that is my cell. Call me sometime,” winked Crystal

    ReplyDelete
  5. “I will and here is mines 708-534-1969 cell.” I said
    “Ok I will Mike.” said Crystal. We both went our separate ways Crystal stayed in the bathroom to fix herself up and I went to go find the boys. As I went downstairs I wasn’t surprised to find Johnny nearly passed out, probably from all the beers. He had about twenty bottles of beer lying next to him.
    “Yo! Johnny,” I called out but no response.
    “Johnny wake up!” I called out again as I kept trying to wake up Johnny. He finally starting waking up.
    “What Mike?” Johnny asked in a confused manner.
    “It’s now two o’clock a.m. Johnny boy lets go.” I said.
    “Aright but bring my car out front.” Johnny said.
    “Johnny I drove.” I responded.
    “OOOOOO yeah that’s right. Hahaha I’m so out of it Mike.” stated Johnny.
    “Yeah I know you’re really intoxicated.” I replied.
    “Well I’m drunk and proud. There I said it. Hahaha such a great party!!!” proudly said Johnny.
    “Yeah it is.” I said with a smile on my face.
    “Wait where is everybody else?” asked Johnny.
    “We have to go find them.” I said.
    “Well lets go!” replied Johnny. As Johnny stood up he kept on falling over his own feet I mean he couldn’t walk in a straight line to save his life.
    “Maybe you should just stay here I’ll find Steve and Buzz.” I stated.
    “Yeah you’re totally right Mike.” Johnny agreed as he made his way to a couch in the living room and he remained there. Meanwhile I began looking until a voice called my name.
    “MIKE!!” a voice called out I looked back and it was Steve.
    “What’s up Steve? I was just looking for you.” I said.
    “Oh you were? Well here I am dude.” replied Steve.
    “Yes I know. Anyway it’s time to go bro.” I replied.
    “Oh no problem. Let’s go find the Buzz and Johnny.” Steve said.
    “My thoughts exactly except I found Johnny he’s on the couch in living room.”
    “Cool man.” Steve replied, as we looked all around the party and we couldn’t find Buzz.
    “Dude where could Buzz be?” Steve asked.
    “I have no idea.” I replied.
    “If I was a Buzz kill I wonder where I would be.” Steve said.
    “Maybe he is outside or something I’ll go check and you watch Johnny.” I replied.
    “Ok will do.” Steve replied as Steve headed back to the living room to stay with Johnny and I headed outside. When I went outside there was Buzz sitting on the corner looking up into the sky. I guess he was thinking.
    “Bro we were looking for you.” I stated.
    “Oh really why?” asked Buzz.
    “Because it’s time to go.” I replied.
    “Oh well let’s go then.” Buzz said.
    “Ok the rest of the guys are inside.” I said.
    “Well let’s go.” Buzz replied as he and I walked right back in the house we went to the living room.

    ReplyDelete
  6. “Ok guys let go home.” I quickly stated.
    “No problem dude.” Steve replied
    “Eye captain” Johnny drunkenly said
    “It’s about time,” agreed Buzz. We all headed straight for my car and hopped right on in and there we drove off from Peyton’s party. As soon as we were in the car Johnny pretty much passed out so I left him alone. On the way back to everybody’s house the guys wanted to talk about the party.
    “That was the best party ever!” stated Steve.
    “It was pretty cool I guess.” quoted buzz.
    “Well it was best for me because you didn’t get anything like yours truly.” Steve said with great confidence.
    “And what did you get an STD.” Buzz said
    “No dude I got me some. Three good tasty pieces of white meat on this dick hahaha because that’s how I get down.” Steve said.
    “Only you Steve.” Buzz said with a disappointed tone.
    “Dude you already know me.” Steve replied.
    “Yes I know me and you go way back.” Buzz said.
    “Hell yeah dude we all do so whatever I say or do you shouldn’t be surprised man.” Steve replied.
    “OH I know that I just wish you could have the slightest respect for women. Is that to much to ask?” Buzz curiously asked
    “Dude that’s no fun and besides me and Mike went chick hunting. Tell him Mike.” Steve
    replied.
    “Yeah what did you do?” Buzz asked.
    “Well I just talked to Crystal and me and her just hung out bro.”
    “I know Crystal and she just doesn’t hangout with guys,” stated Buzz.
    “Yeah dude the way she was looking I started to ask you if we could do a tag on that ass,” Steve replied.
    “Ok fine we did more then just hung out.” I said
    “So what did you do with that bad girl?” asked Steve
    “Yeah Mike.” Buzz tuned in.
    “Lets just say I tore her in pieces.” I stated.
    “Dude that’s my boy hahaha I would have done the same thing though!” Steve replied
    “Well were you at least safe?” asked Buzz.
    “Ummm… yeah of course.” I hesitated.
    “Ok Mike.” Buzz said
    “Dude you should give some details.” Steve suggested
    “NO way. What Mike and Crystal did is their business. Mike don’t tell your business to people.” Buzz stated
    “Yeah Buzz you’re exactly right.” I agreed
    “Oh that’s cool dude no problem.” Steve said. The first stop was Johnny’s I pulled into his parking lot .
    “Some one wake up Johnny.” I said.
    “I will.” Steve said
    “Johnny,” said Steve. No answer.
    “Dude wake up.” Finally Johnny woke up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. “Ok guys let go home.” I quickly stated.
    “No problem dude.” Steve replied
    “Eye captain” Johnny drunkenly said
    “It’s about time,” agreed Buzz. We all headed straight for my car and hopped right on in and there we drove off from Peyton’s party. As soon as we were in the car Johnny pretty much passed out so I left him alone. On the way back to everybody’s house the guys wanted to talk about the party.
    “That was the best party ever!” stated Steve.
    “It was pretty cool I guess.” quoted buzz.
    “Well it was best for me because you didn’t get anything like yours truly.” Steve said with great confidence.
    “And what did you get an STD.” Buzz said
    “No dude I got me some. Three good tasty pieces of white meat on this dick hahaha because that’s how I get down.” Steve said.
    “Only you Steve.” Buzz said with a disappointed tone.
    “Dude you already know me.” Steve replied.
    “Yes I know me and you go way back.” Buzz said.
    “Hell yeah dude we all do so whatever I say or do you shouldn’t be surprised man.” Steve replied.
    “OH I know that I just wish you could have the slightest respect for women. Is that to much to ask?” Buzz curiously asked
    “Dude that’s no fun and besides me and Mike went chick hunting. Tell him Mike.” Steve
    replied.
    “Yeah what did you do?” Buzz asked.
    “Well I just talked to Crystal and me and her just hung out bro.”
    “I know Crystal and she just doesn’t hangout with guys,” stated Buzz.
    “Yeah dude the way she was looking I started to ask you if we could do a tag on that ass,” Steve replied.
    “Ok fine we did more then just hung out.” I said
    “So what did you do with that bad girl?” asked Steve
    “Yeah Mike.” Buzz tuned in.
    “Lets just say I tore her in pieces.” I stated.
    “Dude that’s my boy hahaha I would have done the same thing though!” Steve replied
    “Well were you at least safe?” asked Buzz.
    “Ummm… yeah of course.” I hesitated.
    “Ok Mike.” Buzz said
    “Dude you should give some details.” Steve suggested
    “NO way. What Mike and Crystal did is their business. Mike don’t tell your business to people.” Buzz stated
    “Yeah Buzz you’re exactly right.” I agreed
    “Oh that’s cool dude no problem.” Steve said. The first stop was Johnny’s I pulled into his parking lot .
    “Some one wake up Johnny.” I said.
    “I will.” Steve said
    “Johnny,” said Steve. No answer.
    “Dude wake up.” Finally Johnny woke up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. “What? Where am I?” Johnny said with a confused tone.
    “Home, dude.” Steve replied.
    “Oh cool.” said Johnny as he tried to exit the car he was stumbling pretty hard so Buzz helped him to his front door. Johnny reached into his pockets and pulled out his keys At first Johnny forgot to use his own house keys so, Steve exited my car to go help Johnny open his door. Steve put the key into the lock and unlocked it.
    “OH I love you guys. You guys are like my personal angels. C’mon group hug.” Johnny drunkenly said.
    “Dude you’re so wasted.” replied Steve
    “It’s amazing how one person can be alive after all the liquor Johnny consumes.” stated Buzz. Buzz and Steve walked Johnny straight into his house. Luckily his mother was fast asleep. Johnny was out of harms way so they left the house and Steve and Buzz returned back to my car and we drove off. The next stop was Steve’s. Twelve minutes later I pulled into Steve’s parking lot.
    “Well see ya dudes and thanks Mike.” Steve said.
    “Bye and no problem.” I said.
    “Bye Steve.” Buzz said Steve exited my car and I drove off. The next stop was of course Buzz but by time I arrived at Buzz’s place it was already 2:55 a.m.
    “Thanks Mike.” Buzz said
    “No problem.” I said Buzz exited my car and walked to his towards his house. Then I drove off to my house I couldn’t help but to think about how tired I was and also about Crystal. She was pretty amazing. Finally I arrived at my house and boy it was late nearly four o’clock a.m. I pulled into my drive way, opened my garage, turned my car off, and exited my car. I went straight into my house went directly upstairs and passed out on my bed.

    Three months later I was sitting alone watching my favorite show Everybody Hates Chris when suddenly I receive a phone call.
    “Hello?”
    “Hey Mike. This is Crystal.” She said.
    “Oh hey it’s been a while.” I said
    “Ummmm yeah it sure has.” Crystal said.
    “Is something wrong?” I asked.
    “Well… yeah but I don’t know how you’re going to take it though.” Crystal strongly stated.
    “Crystal just tell me.” I replied.
    “Ok well I’m 6 weeks pregnant.” Crystal nervously said.
    “Oh my God are you serious???” I asked.
    “Yes Mike I wouldn’t make this up. I’m going to have your child.” Crystal stated.
    “Not my child. I can’t take care of a baby.” I strongly stated.
    “You should of thought of a condom.” Crystal strongly said.
    “Like I said I don’t have time for a baby.” I replied.
    “So I have to take care of your child by myself. Is that what your telling me?” I could feel Crystal’s voice increasing with rage that was soon building.
    “That exactly what I’m saying.” I said as if I had the biggest guts anyone could ha

    ReplyDelete
  9. “I hope you burn in Hell.” Crystal said with deep rage and at that moment she hung up the phone. I couldn’t help to think “I was going have to a baby, however I was determined to make sure nobody knew about it. I wasn’t about to destroy my future I know damn well I can’t take of a baby.” I thought to myself. Five years later there I was glazing at my own reflection but, I wasn’t satisfied. As I looked I just couldn’t help but to think that I just killed the dream and I realized that I made a horrible mistake. I always had a dream that I would have a little kid and I finally had one and I’m turned my back that just wasn’t right. That’s when I decided to turn my whole life around I got a real job that soon turned into a career and I decided to revisit the past so I called Crystal.
    “Hey Crystal.” I said.
    “What could you possibly want?” Crystal quickly replied.
    “Well I just to say sorry and I want to be in my child’s life.” I stated.
    “You wait until now to be in your son’s life?” Crystal deeply stated.
    “Well I promised to make up for everything.” I strongly stated.
    “Really.” Crystal said as if she seemed unconvinced.
    “Yes, and first order of business I’m going to help you move into your new place” I proudly declared.
    “Really Mike because you don’t have to.” Crystal replied.
    “I want to though I can’t change the past however I can change the future.” I declared.
    “I appreciate everything and I’m glad you have finally came to your senses.” Crystal said.
    “Well it’s time for me to be a real man.” I said.
    “Well I have to go take Jordan to school I’ll see you later Mike.” Crystal said.
    “You’re sure will because I’m not going anywhere no time soon.” I stated.
    “Ok bye Mike.” Crystal said.
    “Alright goodbye Crystal.” I said, from that point I bought Crystal a brand new house in a better neighborhood. I was excited to be in my son’s life. I took great care of him physically, mentally, financially, and most importantly emotionally. I was real proud of myself. Two years later I met this beautiful woman named Catherine. After a while we got married and I told her all about my situation. She was really impressed with me. We moved out of Chicago and moved straight to Las Vegas, Nevada where I built a multi-million dollar corporation. After my company went up I began to live in luxury and I learned two things one if you can’t feed the baby then don’t have the baby, and two any boy can make mistakes however it takes a man to fix it. The dream has became reality and I’m living it.


    THE END

    ReplyDelete
  10. brother Author 14, edited and polished7/12/11, 9:29 AM

    The Shed

    I used to wonder why Dad’s shed was always locked. What if there was money in there? Maybe he was lodging terrorists. My dad was a good man; I really believe that. Circling the windowless shed for hours had gotten me dizzy, when suddenly, as if to save me from allowing myself to pass out, Dad called out from the bedroom window, “Alan, get up here! I have someone I’d like you to meet.”
    “Coming, dad!”
    Almost nauseous, I ran back to the front door, and hoping to burst into the house like a scene out of an action movie, I trudged straight into the door, expecting it would be open. I fell on my ass. I caught my breath and mustered the energy to yell up, “Dad, it’s locked!” He must not have heard me because he didn’t say anything back. Luckily I remembered that under the doormat lied the spare key that Dad deemed “emergency only.”
    A gross aroma of Dad’s smoked bacon screamed as soon as I entered the kitchen.
    “Hi, Alan!” an excessively smiling, wide-faced woman exclaimed. “It’s me, Torrey, your Dad’s friend.” She posed it almost as a question and spoke so slowly and condescendingly that I felt suddenly dumbfounded.
    “And you remember Sarah,” she stated, yet phrased as a question again.
    She turned her attention to a shy girl entering the kitchen behind her.
    “Hi, Sarah,” I addressed the little girl. Suddenly I was the condescending one.
    “Let’s eat!” Dad chimed in, slicing the discomfort.
    Sitting at the table for five minutes was awkward since no one spoke, but the five-minute threshold altered the standard, making it awkward to speak and be the one to break the silence. But Torrey had to try.
    “So Alan,” she forged a thread of conversation, “we saw you circling the shed out there.”
    “Oh yea,” I replied, excited that she had managed to find a thread of conversation that interested me. “I keep trying to figure out why that thing is always lo—”
    “Alan, why don’t you tell Torrey about that new book you’ve been reading, you know, the Bible, buddy?” Dad had an unusual nerve in his tone. I shrugged.
    “It’s stupid. So do you have any other kids, ma’am?” I addressed his mistress, attempting to slice the discomfort he created. Dad dropped his fork and slouched back into his chair as he massaged his eyes like he was discouraging himself from something.
    “Well,” she glanced at Dad for approval and for the first time wasn’t smiling, “I did.” She stuttered. “His name was Andrew. He was killed about a year ago. But God is good, sweety, he forgives, remember?”
    Sarah innocently observed as she sat, picking at her fingernails to divert her attention. Anytime I looked at her she jolted her eyes in the opposite direction.
    “As I was saying,” I shifted the conversation back to myself, “I’ve been out around the shed all morning because it’s always locked and Dad never tells me wh—”
    “God damn it!” Dad got up from his chair. “That’s it, you’re going back in for the day.”
    “No, wait,” I suddenly started to cry, “Stop it, I’m sorry, I won’t speak anymore!”
    “I tell you this every day, Boy, I am not your father!” His eyes filled with hatred. “They should have just sentenced you to death you worthless mutt.”
    I remember Sarah staring at me, cold faced, her cloak of innocence shattered. She knew. They all did. But they were on their way to forgiving me; they had even come to visit me for breakfast. How could I relapse again.
    Dad grabbed me by my collar and pulled me furiously back to the shed. He unlocked it, just as he did every day, and pushed me back in as Torrey and Sarah watched. There were plain white walls and a single bed, and drawings with blood and the name Andrew on them were scattered across the floor. Dad shoved two large red pills into my mouth, and that’s the last thing I remember.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mouthed Words

    I stood where I was. The sand was in my shoes. It was dark. Every sound startled me. I knew that if I moved someone would die. Jack looked at me. His legs looked like jelly.
    “Jack stay calm.”
    He looked at me with fearful eyes. His gun was shaking in his hand. I see Billy standing completely still in a corner. Karin was holding here M-16.
    I shifted one foot. A flash went and I saw Jack in the air with something coming through his back. His bulletproof vest wasn’t thick enough to protect him. It took one look at me with its dark red eyes and disappeared into thin air.
    I turn around fast but then all of the lights go out. I don’t hear Jack screaming anymore.
    “Turn on your flashlights.”
    I hear the others outside trying to pry the cave entrance from the outside.
    “It’s stuck! We will fine another way out.” There were five of us. Now there are three of us. Billy, Karin, and me.
    Karin started to panic. Bad thing was that Karin was claustrophobic.
    We hear another roar and a screech.
    “Karin, look at me.” She turned her face to me. Her eyes were watering. “We are going to live.” I looked around to see if there was any other way to get out. There was one near Billy. Billy sees what I mean and starts going in it silently.

    Karin was really starting to freak out. Her gun falls out of her hand. Another flash goes off. Karin screams and has a sharp object in her face. Blood was gushing out of her mouth.

    Billy runs out and starts shooting the monster.
    Karin’s body drops to the ground.
    “No Billy, don’t do it!” I scream.
    Billy looks at me for a slit second with a confused face, but he knows not to waste time and keeps going like nothing happened.
    It roars and another flash goes off. Billy is hit in the air; I see the monster crawling on the wall. Another flash goes off and Billy is stabbed in the stomach. He is still firing at the monster in the face. The monster starts to bleed.
    “Die!”
    The monster roars and disappears into thin air. Billy drops to the floor with a loud thud. I run to Billy. He is bleeding hard.
    He smiles and coughs up some blood. He takes his last breath.
    I take his ammo and start walking slowly to the hole Billy was at. A roar and screech come. Two flashes go off and I’m hit in the stomach. I see the monster come at me. I take out my gun and start firing at it. It falls to the ground and then disappears. Then I notice something. The one I fired wasn’t bleeding
    That means there are two.

    I ran to the hole fast but something grabs my leg. I’m thrown at a wall and everything goes blurry. The monster stands on top of me and makes a victorious roar. I pull out a grenade and pull the pin. An explosion comes and I see red and yellow. Smoke fills my lungs.
    I hear a man in the background yell cut and I start to lift myself up from the robotic alien body. My eyes squinted as the light entered.
    “Ok guys. That was a nice run through. Well take it from the top in 45 minutes. Be here early though, because I have an idea for the part where Karin dies.” The man in the nice suit is walking away with two phones in his cheek.
    He pauses and looks at me. “Come here I need to speak with you.”
    “Yes sir.” I already know what he is about to say.
    He mouths words out and I start to walk out. I knew that was it. I thought it would help. Only problem was it wasn’t in the script.

    M!ke©

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Story

    Johny got out the classroom as the bell rang. He looked down the hallway focusing on the other people hurriedly pacing trying to get to their next class. The smell of stale drugs flooded the light blue hallway with a white ceramic floor. Lined with lockers and dimly lit. 2 boys came out the closet next to him. Baggy pants white shirts stained with blood and they smelled horrible. They stumbled as they walked through the hallway criss-cross.” He turned back looked at the closet they walked out of. Then he stole a look at it. “How did they make it through the pat down at the entrance door he thought?” Johny stared at the door he felt as if his leg moved on it’s own. He moved extremely slow weighing an imaginary balance in his head good outcomes and bad ones. He only had one good possibility in his head so far and his head was bombarded with all kinds of horrible possibilities. But, still he strolled closer and closer to the door until he was directly in front of it. The closet door was stained severely and it looked as if it hadn’t ever been cleaned. It also had many creaks and notches in it. Then human curiosity took over his hand slowly trembled towards the closet door.


    His hand inched closer and closer and closer. Then he realized he had to get to class let me think,” I’m on the 1st floor my next period is on the 2nd I can make it.” He stared at the door again then he gave way to his own curiosity. He opened the door and what was inside surprised him. At first it was dark then he found the hallway light crept in slowly but surely like an undercover agent. What was inside was nothing short of disappointment. 2 bar stools, that was it. Johny’s mind spiraled out of control “all that for this” he screamed. Then he took a closer look.


    A short brown table was in between the chairs. The table was scarred. All different types of powdery substances and different types of rolling paper singed at the end clouded the true color of the table. Razors corrupted the integrity of the innocent table. He looked and stared and he thought to himself if walls could talk. What stories would they tell the struggles of men trying to break the grip of drugs? Or the junkie with no money to provide for himself forced to live in the shame of a crack house. Or last but not least the story of the person lost all hope constantly trying god and not liking it. A rush of emotions surfaced. From anger to guilt to eventual sorrow as the walls could tell millions of different stories. All about the lack of self respect his fellow brothers had for themselves.


    He heard the warning bell in the hallway 1 minute left to get to class. He crept out to the foul smelling closet door. Checked to make sure that nobody had seen him as he was sure he wasn’t suppose to be there. Then made a beeline to his next classroom. Everything around him was barely visible but he slowed down so he wouldn’t hit anyone. He saw those same men walking around with no intent to get to class, and suddenly he stopped “1 tardy won’t do anything he thought.” He asked them, ”Hey tell me your story.”

    ReplyDelete
  13. Trial of the Century Pt.1

    Everyone returns after a court recess of an hour; this to Ms. Anderson should have felt like a lifetime, but instead is more of a nuisance that prolongs a case that is beyond her. She sits in the defendant’s seat in a striped, collared blouse with a face so blank of any emotion that it rendered that the jury’s verdict had already been established in her favor. The Judge demands order with a loud bang of his gavel, then he proclaims “the state of Florida vs. Ms. Anderson is back from recess; please begin your closing arguments.” Ms. Anderson’s attorney boastfully walks up to the stand and defends the accusations against Anderson from the state. Ms. Anderson begins to meander in thought while her attorney and the state of Florida exchange words of false truth and disbelief. Her emotionless face begins to resemble that of a child that has done wrong as the state attorney general exclaims “the truth and Ms. Anderson are strangers; no one else could have done this.”

    These words shift everyone in the courtroom, those who claim she is guilty see this as the first step in her sentencing, and those who pray for her innocence see her facade weakening. Anguish and sorrow begin to develop on her face in the form of tears; she quickly looks at her attorney in a helpless glow. He looks in her same direction, winks and proceeds with his defense. “Judge I would just like to say that these accusations against Ms. Anderson are false and unjust, to even say that Ms. Anthony doesn’t love her daughter is absurd.” “Objection Judge,” yells the State attorney as he slowly rises from the bench confident with his next argument. “Ms. Anderson is a liar, a party girl, and a poor mother. As a parent the number one thing on your mind should be the welfare of your children, Am I correct?” “Proceed.” Says the Judge. “Your honor here we have a pure case of child neglect and murder, Ms. Anderson cares more about her social life then about her daughter Casey.” “Anderson Left her two year old daughter at home to go and party the night away, once Anderson found her daughter dead she took poor casey and dumped her body into a swamp like a pet, that sure doesn’t sound like love to me.” with that he sits down.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pt.2
    As the courtroom battle heats up the guilt is seen through tears running down the cheeks of Ms. Anderson. The death of her daughter seems to be haunting her memory, “Why did I leave her alone, I should have stayed at home where I belonged... I just wanted to have fun I didn’t know… I didn’t know.” Ms. Anderson’s attorney stands up with his last words “Judge I believe that all of this is a waste of the court’s time and your time, Ms. Anderson is a good, loving mother... She did not murder her child for selfish intent, nor with any intent at all.” “The prosecution has nothing to stand on but what they think they know, they have no pictures, no notes, therefore no evidence, my client is innocent and the only ones guilty here is the prosecution, guilty of bearing false witness against Ms. Anderson.” With those closing remarks the judge called for the jury to discuss a verdict.

    Ms. Anderson and her attorney both sit down; her attorney still as confident as he was before sits there awaiting a verdict he worked for. She whispers to him soberly “thank you for all you’ve done, but I think it’s over for...” he interjects “This isn’t over yet, let the jury do their job I’ve presented all I could to sway them to a fair verdict.” The jury returns after a half hour deliberation, that wait for Ms. Anderson felt like a lifetime. A Juror stands, faces the judge and begins to speak “Your honor, we the jury after a hard deliberation finds the defendant… innocent of all charges.” The court is silent; Ms. Anderson looks distraught instead of content; the state attorney and the courtroom sit with astonished looks as if to say “another one get away.” Ms. Anderson’s attorney pats her on the back, he whispers “mission accomplished, tell him to behave himself, we may not win next time.” The judge gets up walks out of the courtroom followed by Ms. Anderson and her attorney, who suffer glares of hatred and disgust as they exit.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Blocked
    BA 11
    10:46 am
    7/6/11

    Wesley waited outside. The stainless steel door, blocking out all sound and packing his body with concern. Father calls.

    "Did they talk to you?"

    "No. Not yet. They're going to be amazed when they hear my decision. I just don't want to disappoint anyone, especially you, Father."

    "Well, son, if you want to go to England, go. You're the star, after all."

    "Thank you, Father."

    "Don't thank me."

    As Wesley remembers it, only his brothers want him to move. Nobody ever gave him a say in the matter. Unexpectedly, the black suits begin to file out of the building, without shaking Wesley's hand or even acknowledging his presence. This action filled his mind with curiosity and suspicion. Jason was already putting the papers into his folder, when Wesley strolled into the office.

    "So, what's up?"


    “They said…”

    “Jason, you’re my business man. You can tell me.”

    There was no grin on his face. No joyous tears in Jason’s glassy eyes.

    “They said they would send you a letter.”

    Wesley’s heart sank.

    “Why?”

    “One of the reasons is because they said you were asking for too much money, even though they said they were willing to pay it, with a bonus. Another one of the reasons is because they don’t know if the fans will receive you well.”

    “What about me did they say the fans wouldn’t receive well?”

    Wesley’s voice became louder and sharper as he said this.

    “They said that the few black men they’ve had before haven’t worked out well for them and they don’t want to risk another one on their team!’

    Jason said with a tone that was unrecognizable to Wesley and himself.
    Wesley didn’t know what to say. For his whole life, everyone had treated him well and with open arms. Now, the real world was giving him his first taste of disgust. He left the building and went back home with his parents and little brothers in Chicago.


    The letter came on the eve of his 17th birthday. The blue sky felt like a blanket over his home and the stars glimmered in the moonlight. Wesley’s family waited for him to open the letter. Finally, Wesley tore it open.

    “Mr. Wesley Kimbrough, on behalf of the Manchester Magic, we would like give you an invitation to join our team. We hope you will accept and will soon become a part of the Manchester Magic.
    Sincerely,
    John Amaechi”

    “Yes!!!!” John and Josh yelled like they were at a rock concert.

    “Great job, son,” Dad exclaimed.

    “That’s amazing, Wesley!” Mom said.

    “Thanks, guys. Without you, I wouldn’t be what I am today. And I’m going to accept, even with the trouble it took for me to get on the team. It’s going to be a long season,” Wesley exclaimed, his eyes filled with tears of joy and fear. “And I’m going to carry this adversity through with me to succeed with my team. And I will always remember this feeling of getting blocked.”

    ReplyDelete