...a country which needs heroes is an unfortunate one. But even more unfortunate is the country that needs heroes and has none.



Bertolt Brecht

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Day 4 - Gaining Momentum with Our First Paragraphs

Much of the reality of the young black male has been lost to the short story.

We must get in and get out when writing short stories. Today, we will continue the rich tradition of black males and the short story.

A well-written short story has the power to excite the imagination and stimulate the soul. I encourage you to think, plan, and write short stories with full intentions to pay attention to the sacred rights and responsibilities of human beings.

I share the first paragraphs of six black shorts I have written, all dealing with a social justice issue.

Not So Strange After All


“Get away from me you devil-loving maggot.” His name was Leon. My name was Leon. I noticed him sitting outside of CVS pharmacy jingling a green and white cup. “God, Bless. Have a nice day,” is what he said to everybody who gave him some change, and those who refused. That’s why I was surprised with his outburst when I decided to sit beneath the large storefront window next to him. I was not close enough to offend, but close enough to chat. I circled the block several times before engaging in this strange behavior. I could not help myself because he had a striking resemblance to my father who has passed away a year earlier after suffering from an acute case of pneumonia. I wanted to know the story behind the man who sat spread out on Canal Avenue with a matted, salt and pepper beard. It was something about his hands and the cup that did not match. His fingernails were striking. I expected them to be dirty, unmanicured, and trouble-looking. But they were not. There were clean and well cared for.



Black Bag


"Lil’’ Joe sat in the back of the car with a stupid look on his face. The large graffiti-laced t-shirt and hanging jeans with large cuffs hugging the ground at the back of multi-colored gym shoes marked him as a young man looking for trouble. The bulky bag he was toting raised suspicion. His run-in caused him to imagine the weight of Mrs. Jackson’s disappointment. He heard her saying, “Stay out of trouble.” He was excited and scared at the same time. He would become one of the guys after sharing what happened tonight; he was now a first-timer, an official member of the brotherhood. 


Lefty


This was my first time back in the old neighborhood after being away for more than four years. “You know, Lefty, died.” Cameron, one of my best friends from childhood told me about his death. It’s funny how memories and emotions are quickly ignited with unexpected news. Although I hadn’t heard the name, Lefty, in ten years, I felt a deep lost. I remember looking forward to seeing him turn the corner as he wheeled his way toward Madden Park in a sluggishly looking chair with rips in the leather and dingy push handles. He was a huge man, always wearing the same country straw hat and blue jean overalls with one working strap. Dirt was always caked under the fingernails of his huge hands. He sweated a lot, and his underarms were wet most of the time. Lefty never wore socks in the summer; his crusty ankles showed through the back of his open-toe sandals. 


Not in My Neighborhood


His bright red cap, half-cocked, was the first thing I noticed when he entered the room. I am not quite sure why he showed up, but it was something about his presence that was welcoming. His movements were slow and measured. I could hear the questions he was asking although he remained silent. The baby face atop the grown-man frame was weathered with pain, but not totally washed of innocence. He was teetering between something that was difficult to pinpoint. Then he spoke, "Not in my neighborhood."



Sixteen


She sat two rows in front of me on the seven-car train that was moving toward the city. Her hair was uncombed and there were naps all along her two-toned neck. The daughter’s hair was not in much better shape suggesting that she just didn’t have time to get to it this morning. Earplugs were in her ears and small gold hoop earrings, nothing extravagant, hung from her lobes. The dimples on her moderately dark face were attractive. She was really pretty. I made brief eye contact with the girl who looked like she was about sixteen. We exchanged a brief smile that was interrupted by a young boy who began to scream; the pacifier dropped from his mouth.  It was obvious he hadn’t had his first haircut, and the white dry snot marks on his nose looked nasty. She spent the duration of the ride trying to calm him down. The train passengers, mostly white, looked irritated because the young boy’s cry was intruding upon their newspaper reading; their attempts to complete work on laptop computers, or their desire to simply enjoy four-dollar-cups of coffee. I felt sort of sad for the girl as she bounced the baby up and down on her lap as her little girl looked on. The mother’s face tightened each time his shrieks grew louder; she looked somewhat apologetic for disturbing the others. At one point, I even became irritated. Why won’t the boy just shut up, I thought?
             

My Daddy’s Shrine


My momma always told me my daddy ain’t nothing, but I still decided to love him. I’m his seed and I carry his name. It’s been three years since I last saw him. It was a perfect day. I remember waking up early on my tenth birthday. The blinds failed to block out the morning’s sunlight that crept into my room. The ray of light stretched like a rope across the tiny bedroom that I shared with my little brother, Fergie. I dressed quickly when mom told me that daddy was on his way over to take me to the game. I heard the horn and I rushed downstairs. Big Gib, with a cigarette hanging out of the corner of his mouth, was sitting in his new Chrysler. He looked perfect to me. I was excited to go to the north side to see the Cubs. Kids in my neighborhood lost interest in the game; the parks are now empty. It is rare that I get a chance to wear my jersey with the number 37 on the back, another gift from my father. He’s fourth generation and I am fifth generation.

16 comments:

  1. Brother Author 147/6/11, 9:56 AM

    I used to wonder why Dad’s shed was always locked. What if there was money in there? Maybe he was lodging terrorists. My dad was a good man; I really believe that. Circling the windowless shed for hours had gotten me dizzy, when suddenly, as if to save me from allowing myself to pass out, Dad called out from the bedroom window, “Alan, get up here! I have someone I’d like you to meet.”
    “Coming, dad!” I shouted back politely.
    Almost nauseous, I ran back to the front door, and hoping to burst into the house like a scene out of an action movie, I trudged straight into the door, expecting it would be open. I fell on my ass. I caught my breath and mustered the energy to yell up, “Dad, it’s locked!”

    ReplyDelete
  2. J-Boog sat in front of the classroom; his hands and legs were shaking and sweating outrageously. He was about to encounter one of his biggest moments in life. J-Boog came in the class dressed like he was going to play basketball. He had on some black Nike basketball shorts, white V-neck shirt and a black pair of Nike socks with some Nike flip-flops. J-Boog wanted to be comfortable for the task that he was about to take on. J-Boog looked at his teacher, she had a thick white booklet and a thin white sheet of paper in her hand. When he had seen that he reached into his book bag to take out a book and read to keep his mind off his task. Ten minutes went by and the teacher said “alright clear your area and take out your pencils.” J-Boog knew then that it was time to get down to

    ReplyDelete
  3. To Die Last

    I stood where I was. The sand was in my shoes. It was dark. Every sound startled me. I knew that if I moved someone would die. Jack looked at me. His legs looked like jelly.
    “Jack stay calm”
    He looked at me with fearful eyes. His gun was shaking in his hand.
    I shifted one foot. A flash went and I saw Jack in the air with something coming through his back. His bulletproof vest wasn’t thick enough to protect him. It took one look at me with its dark red eyes and disappeared into thin air.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is it time


    Red milky fluid dripping from my neck as my eyes awaken, and my heart come back from its tap dancing session. It looks like I have another purple cell on me. I don’t yell anymore because I just hear souls bouncing around on the walls.
    There’s nowhere for me to run
    Except for the mixtures of clay and limestone mixed with gravel.
    “If a pictures worth a thousand words mines should be worth…$5.”
    If he lets me out I'm deactivating my facebook.
    I thought I was taking model pictures for my friends and me. Who knew others would take a liking for them.
    Here he comes from the secret passage door. I ask is it? “Is it time?”

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its five ol’ one and the outcry of the alarm sounds and the sun glares through the window, as the boy rises to start his day. Just like any other day, Malcolm gets out of his bed and turns on the water in his wet room until it’s guaranteed to be steamy. Malcolm a short guy in stature, but his heart was bigger than the other 11, 394 players. Born and raised on the south side of Chicago, Malcolm wanted to be ahead of his fellow peers. Whatever he started he finished, whatever he put his mind to he accomplished. Now a senior in high school, he is now looking to accomplish something most people can’t. He’s now starting to be noticed by college scouts and he plans on keeping that up. Malcolm does the same thing every morning as far as getting dressed. He puts his left socks on and then his right socks (tube sock followed by ankle sock). Next it’s his ankle braces and his shorts. Depending on the day, he may wear strength shoes or his red and black Nike Hyperfuses. Today was different; Malcolm decided to crawl back in bed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Blocked
    BA 11
    10:46 am
    7/6/11

    Wesley waited outside. The stainless steel door, blocking out all sound and packing his body with concern. Father calls.
    "Did they talk to you?"
    "No. Not yet. They're going to be amazed when they hear my decision. I just don't want to disappoint anyone, especially you, Father."
    "Well, son, if you want to go to England, go. You're the star, after all."
    "Thank you, Father."
    "Don't thank me."
    As Wesley remembers it, only his brothers want him to move. Nobody ever gave him a say in the matter. Unexpectedly, the black suits begin to file out of the building, without shaking Wesley's hand or even acknowledging his presence. This action filled his mind with curiosity and suspicion. Jason is already putting the papers into the folder, when Wesley strolls into the office.
    "So, what's up?"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dead and Gone



    Here I am 32 years old enjoying life. As I sit alone in my $100,000 luxury paradise watching my awesome plasma and listening to my high definition reward. Then here comes the love of my life Catherine her presence awakes my soul, her hair flowing like an nonstop well of beauty, her body makes to you want to commit deadly sins, her eyes is like a maze, and her voice has the power to make you sprung
    “ Is everything ok honey?”
    “Of course everything is just fine my love”
    “You sure because you look as if something is bothering you”
    “I’m just fine”
    “Ok I’ll see you later I love you
    “I love u to sweetheart” She exits to go to work but I couldn’t help to think that I completely destroyed two lives. Back in the day it seemed like a pretty damn good idea it still might be I hope. I know she probably holding an unbreakable solid grudge against me and I don’t blame her. Besides they don’t need me so I guess I’ll leave them alone I caused enough destruction in my lifetime.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Empty Pocket

    Why me, Will thought as he walked down the street. He looks into that empty pocket, searching for something that will not be there. He couldn’t go a block without seeing someone like him begging for change. With those rags for shirts and those socks for shoes, would he stay like this? He was fine once upon a time ago. But he fell low. How, just like the others, it was destined from the start, so he should’ve gotten ready. He was low, low enough to do what came next. His fear held on to him like a hand, a large, clutching hand, compelling him not to. But his desire, that awful feeling, compelling you past what’s wrong or right, pushed him past his doubts. “I don’t wanna live a life off of this horrible thing.” He looks back into that empty pocket. Now, instead filled with something, something he thought he’d never hold. “NO, I have to, she wants it, she wants it so bad, and who am I to deny such determination, I have to, whether or not I like holding this horrible thing. It’s her birthday, she wants a new friend.” He opens the door.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brother Aurthor #37/6/11, 10:26 AM

    Vince, was a man that wish he was amazing. Yesterday he found himself at a party, getting his new shoes messed up when he really supposed to be preparing for the new year. He walked to school with fellow brothers on a gloomy Monday mourning. As most of them went in one rundown, hopeless building, he boarded the next bus. He walked into his classroom with the number 5 above the door in bold. The teachers and students all looked different to him. Could they see? The symbol on the side of the board was not familiar to the normal letters and numbers he seen in the past, he said to himself. It had twist and turns, and loops and a figure at the end. She had everyone state a memory they had when they were younger, and then afterwards she would tell us to write a word on the word that relate to the story, and finally THEY got a cookie. I told my story and afterwards, she told me to put Different on the board… no cookie at all.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Is it time


    Red milky fluid dripping from my neck as my eyes awaken, and my heart come back from its tap dancing session. It looks like I have another purple cell on me. I don’t yell anymore because I just hear souls bouncing around on the walls.
    There’s nowhere for me to run
    Except for the mixtures of clay and limestone mixed with gravel.
    “If a pictures worth a thousand words mines should be worth…$5.”
    If he lets me out I'm deactivating my facebook.
    I thought I was taking model pictures for my friends and me. Who knew others would take a liking for them.
    Here he comes from the secret passage door. I ask is it? “Is it time?”

    ReplyDelete
  11. Johny got out the classroom as the bell rang. He looked down the hallway focusing on the other people hurriedly pacing through the hallway. 2 boys came out the closet next to him. Baggy pants white –shirts stained with blood and they smelled horrible and were stumbling as they walked through the hallway walking criss-cross,”.He turned backed looked at the closet they came out of and stole another look at it. The smell of stale drugs flooded the hallway, there ware white stains on all over the door, how did they make it through the pat down at the entrance door he thought. Johny stared at the door and human curiosity took over his hand slowly trembled towards the closet door.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Brother Author #37/6/11, 10:30 AM

    Vince, was a man that wish he was amazing. Yesterday he found himself at a party, getting his new shoes messed up when he really supposed to be preparing for the new year. He walked to school with fellow brothers on a gloomy Monday mourning. As most of them went in one rundown, hopeless building, he boarded the next bus. He walked into his classroom with the number 5 above the door in bold. The teachers and students all looked different to him. Could they see? The symbol on the side of the board was not familiar to the normal letters and numbers he seen in the past, he said to himself. It had twist and turns, and loops and a figure at the end. She had everyone state a memory they had when they were younger, and then afterwards she would tell us to write a word on the word that relate to the story, and finally THEY got a cookie. After I put my story the teacher said, “Good job, now put DIFFERENT on the board”. Good job now sit down. "Do I get a cookie". "Later"

    ReplyDelete
  13. Blocked
    BA 11
    10:46 am
    7/6/11

    Wesley waited outside. The stainless steel door, blocking out all sound and packing his body with concern. Father calls.
    "Did they talk to you?"
    "No. Not yet. They're going to be amazed when they hear my decision. I just don't want to disappoint anyone, especially you, Father."
    "Well, son, if you want to go to England, go. You're the star, after all."
    "Thank you, Father."
    "Don't thank me."
    As Wesley remembers it, only his brothers want him to move. Nobody ever gave him a say in the matter. Unexpectedly, the black suits begin to file out of the building, without shaking Wesley's hand or even acknowledging his presence. This action filled his mind with curiosity and suspicion. Jason is already putting the papers into the folder, when Wesley strolls into the office.
    "So, what's up?"

    ReplyDelete
  14. Trial of the Century
    Everyone returns after a court recess of an hour; this to Ms. Anderson should have felt like a lifetime, but instead is more of a nuisance that prolonged a case that was beyond her. She sat in the defendant’s seat in a striped, collared blouse with a face so blank of any emotion that rendered that the jury’s verdict had already been established in her favor. The Judge demands order with a loud bang of his gavel, then he proclaims “the state of Florida vs. Ms. Anderson is back from recess, please begin your closing arguments”. Ms. Anderson’s attorney boastfully walks up to the stand and defends her against the accusations of the state. Ms. Anderson begins to meander in thought while her attorney and the state of Florida exchange words of false truth and disbelief. Her emotionless face begins to resemble that of a child that has done wrong as the state attorney general exclaims “the truth and Ms. Anderson are strangers, no one else could have done this”.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Johny got out the classroom as the bell rang. He looked down the hallway focusing on the other people hurriedly pacing through the hallway. 2 boys came out the closet next to him. Baggy pants white –shirts stained with blood and they smelled horrible and were stumbling as they walked through the hallway walking criss-cross,”.He turned backed looked at the closet they came out of and stole another look at it. The smell of stale drugs flooded the hallway, there ware white stains on all over the door, how did they make it through the pat down at the entrance door he thought. Johny stared at the door and human curiosity took over his hand slowly trembled towards the closet door.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The Grip

    Johny got out the classroom as the bell rang. He looked down the hallway focusing on the other people hurriedly pacing through the hallway. The smell of stale drugs flooded the hallway. 2 boys came out the closet next to him. Baggy pants white shirts stained with blood and they smelled horrible they stumbled as they walked through the hallway criss-cross.” He turned back looked at the closet they walked out of. Then he stole a look at it. “How did they make it through the pat down at the entrance door he thought?” Johny stared at the door walked over to the door, and human curiosity took over his hand slowly trembled towards the closet door.

    His hand inched closer and closer and closer then he realized he had to get to class let me think,” I’m on the 1st floor my next period is on the 2nd I can make it.” He stared at the door again then he gave way to his own curiosity he opened the door and what was inside surprised him. At first it was dark then he found the hallway light crept in slowly but surely like an undercover agent. What was inside was nothing short of disappointment. 2 bar stools, that was it. Then he took a closer look.

    A short brown table was in between the chairs. The table was scarred. All different types of powdery substances and, different types of rolling paper singed at the end clouded the true color of the table. Razors corrupted the integrity of the innocent table. He looked and stared and he if walls could talk. What stories would they tell the struggles of men trying to break the grip of drugs? Or the junkie with no money to provide for himself forced to live in the shame of a crack house. Or last but not least the story of the person lost all hope constantly trying god and not liking it.

    He heard the warning bell in the hallway 1 minute left to get to class. He walked out the closet. Then made a beeline to class. He saw those same men and suddenly he stopped “1 tardy won’t do anything he thought.” He asked them, ”Hey tell me your story.”

    ReplyDelete