...a country which needs heroes is an unfortunate one. But even more unfortunate is the country that needs heroes and has none.



Bertolt Brecht

Monday, June 27, 2011

DAY 1 - Poetic Broadsides

Young Brother Authors,

In the tradition of great writers, we will strive to use our pens and our minds to create a new national imagination. Writing is an act of becoming. You will post your first broadside by day's end.

My broadside focuses on the gap between ideals and reality and the value of rolling up your own sleeves.

The Gap
by
Dr. A. W. Tatum
June 27, 2011
9:46 am
Springs in my legs meet broken ankles
Breast milk and broken baby bottles
The world map and the street corner
Corporate profits and overdue bills
God’s hands pulling me while the devil’s song whirls in my head

Gaddafi's war-torn Libya and a sweet kiss from my little sister

$4.25 for a bottle of water at the ballpark while children die of thirst in South Central Somalia
Forty-five yards away from my dream with three seconds left on the clock
Acceptance letter to the school of my choice with no money for tuition
Closing in
Closing out
Close enough
Closed
Because of me

15 comments:

  1. brother author 96/28/11, 9:14 AM

    Dark Beauty
    By
    Aaron Knight
    June 28, 2011
    11:02

    Your voice
    Your words
    Spoken to hurt
    Against her color
    Against her beauty
    Allergic?
    Are you or are you not!
    One of a kind
    Put her down only to left another
    Ignorance!
    Shall I say ignorant!
    Millions or nothing
    Dark is a thing of beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can’t Think
    By: Michael Franco

    I can’t think.
    I don’t know what to say.
    I thought I came prepared.
    It wasn’t what I expected.
    Or what anyone expected.
    I looked at the screen and my mind went blank.
    Everything was shut down.
    Why can’t I just think?

    M!ke©

    ReplyDelete
  3. brother author 86/28/11, 9:18 AM

    The nightmare

    I tried to run
    Smack
    I do the puppy face
    He breaks my leg
    Now I only have
    3legs
    I don’t think I would
    Never be normal
    Like the rest of them
    Why do he treat me like this
    When he bought me
    Here comes lunch
    “ what ? “ a nibble of beans
    he’s watch the other ones like me on TV
    laughs

    I’ll escape when he sleep
    The nightmare will be over soon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dreaming rainbows
    Brightens the sky
    Dreaming lighting
    Makes you want to cry
    Facing the dream makes you want to scream
    Dreaming your alive makes heaven fly
    One day the world would face the dream they never knew what lies between dreaming about life frightens me because having no sympathy bites me dreaming the sea was blue
    Was they there to see heaven one day or two we live the dream just to face it again

    By. DeMarioDonner
    Facing the Dream

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why?
    By Nile Lansana
    6/28/11
    11:05 am

    Boom! Boom! Pow!
    I can’t sleep.
    Why is this happening?
    Is it because of me?

    Boom! Boom! Pow!
    Michael’s dead.
    I still remember the last words he said:
    Www… why?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Every rejection letter
    a BULLET hole
    to an uninsured
    well educated
    BLACK man
    with preexisting conditions.
    Never skimmed a reading or
    skipped a problem
    or missed a meeting
    but the ineloquent
    BEATING
    of that cardiac muscle
    since age zero
    the unyielding reign check
    of an unstoppable drive.
    No legacy
    No inheritance
    No trust fund
    No real parents
    just a DRIVE--
    that's never enough.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brother Author 76/28/11, 9:25 AM

    War



    BOOM, CRASH, BANG
    THE SOUND OF HUNDREDS DYING
    THE LOUD GUNSHOTS BELLOWING IN THE DISTANCE
    DEAD BODIES FLYING IN THE AIR
    BODIES DROPPING LIKE ROCKS
    SCREAMS HEARD
    FAMILIES CRY
    BOOM, CRASH, BANG
    THE SOUNDS THEY HEAR BEFORE THEY DIE

    ReplyDelete
  8. RESPECT
    Respect them.
    Not touching them all in public.
    SHAME
    Never in life is it ok to yell at them.
    There will be hell to pay if you
    neglect them.
    You was raised better then that or
    was u?
    Real men don’t disrespect them.
    regardless what happens.
    Are you men enough?
    Be a gentlemen!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Daylin Miller B.A.13



    Pow-Pow


    As I sit in my window and look outside all I hear is Pow-Pow.
    Pow-Pow there it goes again, a mother just lost her son
    Pow-Pow I hear my neighbors cry aloud
    Pow-Pow they got his little brother now
    Pow-Pow when is the crime going to stop
    I hear someone scream NOT NOW!

    Neighbors are screaming.
    Babies are crying
    People are dying
    Someone tell me why
    Why he had to die now

    ReplyDelete
  10. Eric Wilson BA #3
    What’s wrong, Nothing
    Mistakes is one thing, corrections is another.
    One is not better than the other, both need to be made and avoided.
    Don’t beat down one and not the other.
    Nothing gets past.
    Struggle? No rest?
    Just another reason to be the best.
    Don’t try to be perfect, it could lead to destruction.
    Shouts out to Life!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brother Author 66/28/11, 9:30 AM

    Has the mighty river known as America, flowing for hope, justice and freedom met a drought? Why are people without homes, jobs, money and basic necessities such as food? Why are my questions in a queue line along with the aforementioned others? If I am asking too many questions tell me so, I will put my answer on your waiting list.

    ReplyDelete
  12. brother author 86/28/11, 9:32 AM

    The nightmare

    I tried to run
    Smack
    I do the puppy face
    He breaks my leg
    Now I only have
    3legs
    I don’t think I would
    Never be normal
    Like the rest of them
    Why do he treat me like this
    When he bought me
    Here comes lunch
    “ what ? “ a nibble of beans
    he’s watching the other ones like me on TV
    laughs

    I’ll escape when he sleep
    The nightmare will be over soon

    ReplyDelete
  13. BA12
    6-28-11
    Retirement


    I just retired from the NBA. And life drops like a brick. I don’t care what the websites say I’ll never go broke. Spending as lavishly as I was when I worked. Got a pension but I don’t need it. 5 years later. I don’t have any money and can’t pay for my 4 cars. The bank came foreclosed my home and as I think about the look in my children’s eyes as I realize I don’t have enough money to feed us all. Now I realize simplicity would have kept me afloat.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Another Night Of Crime


    Another night at work,
    Another night of crime.
    Another night to see some good and some bad,
    Even though the ending will be sad.

    The night had stared,
    and a criminal had been spotted.
    The suspect had been running,
    as the chase was just starting.

    Up one flight of stairs,
    but we were sure to follow.
    The suspect had been patted down,
    and the drugs had been found.

    Before the arrest could be made,
    the suspected would push us down a flight of stairs.
    The six shots were fired,
    and I was the one that caught four of them.

    Even with the suspect still there,
    My partners carried me to safety.
    And now the one they called a power ranger,
    Has just been defeated by evil.

    If only I had one more day,
    I could tell my children and my wife,
    The Love I have for them each and every day,
    And the pain I am feeling for leaving them this awful day.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Trial of the Century
    Everyone returns after a court recess of an hour; this to Ms. Anderson should have felt like a lifetime, but instead is more of a nuisance that prolonged a case that was beyond her. She sat in the defendant’s seat in a striped, collared blouse with a face so blank of any emotion that rendered that the jury’s verdict had already been established in her favor. The Judge demands order with a loud bang of his gavel, then he proclaims “the state of Florida vs. Ms. Anderson is back from recess, please begin your closing arguments”. Ms. Anderson’s attorney boastfully walks up to the stand and defends her against the accusations of the state. Ms. Anderson begins to meander in thought while her attorney and the state of Florida exchange words of false truth and disbelief. Her emotionless face begins to resemble that of a child that has done wrong as the state attorney general exclaims “the truth and Ms. Anderson are strangers, no one else could have done this”.

    ReplyDelete